Therapeutic Play Skills- Blended LearningBook Your Place Now
Approx 3 months
QQI Level 6
Start at any time
Therapeutic Play Skills- Blended Learning
Research has found Play to be an effective therapeutic medium for children in difficult and challenging circumstances such as family changes, separation and divorce, new schools, chronic illness and even death and dying. It is a natural means for children to work out difficulties they might face such as in making friends, dealing with excessive anger, fear, sadness, worry & shyness. Play also helps in dealing with issues emerging from aggression & acting out; school difficulties; abuse & neglect; social adjustment; sleeping and eating difficulties; poor self concept & low self esteem; trauma; grief & loss; hospitalization; and identity.
"Play is the highest expression of human development in childhood, for it alone is the free expression of what is in the child's soul" - Fredrich Frobel
This course is specifically designed for anyone with experience of working with children or adolescents, also those who work or intend to work therapeutically with them. It includes;
- Clinical Psychologists
- Montessori and Primary school Teachers/Assistants
- Social Workers
- Play School/Sessional services staff
- Children’s Hospice care Home staff
- Adoption/Foster Care Workers
QQI Level 6 minor award (6N4705) certificate in Therapeutic Play Skills and be qualified to work as play workers/specialists in schools, recreational and care settings.
Entry to this course is by direct application to the college. There are no previous academic requirements.
This is a blended learning course, a mix between online learning and workshops. All workshops will be held in Portobello Institute, Dublin 1. There are x 2 workshops in total- see dates below.
• Therapeutic Play and its benefits,
• The nature and types of issues that children experience and how therapeutic play can help them
• The skills and techniques required to become a therapeutic play practitioner/play specialist.
• The different creative mediums that can be used in therapeutic play interventions such as Sand play, Clay, Art, Music, Lego, Water and Therapeutic Story telling.
The cost of this course is €989