Communication Strategies for Non-verbal Children. Distance LearningBook Your Place Now
Certificate of Attendance
Start at any time
Communication Strategies for Non-verbal Children. Distance Learning
The inability to effectively communicate has been found to affect numerous daily life tasks. Researchers have found that individuals with disabilities experience less success than able-bodied individuals with respect to employment, education, independent living and relationships. It is essential therefore to offer augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) to non-verbal children and have the knowledge to help the child to effectively use their particular system.
By choosing to study this course with Portobello Institute, students will have access to course materials from our online learning centre for the duration of the course. The course materials for this certified course are thorough and easy to read and can be downloaded in your own time and from the comfort of your own home. You will also be assigned a personal tutor for the duration of the course who will help you with any challenges you may encounter. In addition you will be able to upload assignments online and receive online feedback. You can use our online learning centre from any computer that has internet access. However, access to a computer is not compulsory as we can arrange for everything to be processed by post. There is an administration fee of €30 for this service.
Portobello Institute Certificate in Communications Strategies for non-verbal children
Entry to this course is by direct application to the college. There are no previous academic requirements.
As this course is delivered through distance learning it is carried out at the students own pace. Each student has 6 months to complete this course.
- Online Learning Centre (requires internet access), or
- By Post (note that there is an admin fee of €30 for postal students)
- What is involved in communication
- What is Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC)
- Types of AAC (Aided and Unaided Communication)
- Types of AAC Communications
- Types of AAC Communicators
- Role of language and literacy in using AAC
- Benefits of using AAC
- Problems faced by children using AAC
- Strategies to improve the use of different types of AAC
- What is PECS
- Specific stages/phases of PECS
- Skills required for a child to effectively use PECS
- Importance and value of introducing PECS to the child
The cost of the course ia €350