Care of the older personBook Your Place Now
Care of the older person
This is a blended learning course. Learners study largely independently, with online support. One class-based workshop is provided to guide through course content and assignment brief. The workshop takes place in the Portobello Institute.
• Portobello Institute Certificate of Completion
• QQI Level 5 minor award (5N2706)
There are no entry requirements.
Unit 1: Holistic care of older people
Unit 2: Needs of the Client and role of the Healthcare Assistant
Unit 3: The Third Trimester of life
Unit 4: Cognitive Impairment and Mental Health Issues
Unit 5: Care Settings and Services for Older People
Skills Demonstration 60%
• The aim is to provide the knowledge, skills and competency to provide the full range of needs
i.e. holistic care for older people in a variety of care settings working under the direction and
supervision of nursing staff.
• Acquire the skills to meet the needs of the older person
• To understand the role of the healthcare assistant in promoting a positive attitude to ageing and
death and dying.
• To enable learners to acquire the best practice skills associated with the provision of holistic
• Understand the range of services available to older people.
• To acquire the communication skills required to enable the healthcare assistant to communicate
effectively with the older person, their family and the multidisciplinary team.
To take a proactive role in health promotion
• Acquire the basic therapeutic intervention skills